While I'm making slow progress on taking down my chimney, at least so far it's been just a Band-Aid/ibuprofen job. I was using just a large hammer and chisels in an attempt to be more controlled, what with beiing thirty feet in the air and all, which was too slow but still worked -- until the chimney liner started cracking at its first seam. Getting the top three feet of chimney liner down in one piece was an adventure, but I didn't want shattered ceramic shards all over the lawn ... I could describe what I did, but you'd all just lecture me. In any case, that's been the most dangerous part so far.
However, I just brought home a sledgehammer, so that could change.