The Albion Fire Department fought its first grass fire of the season last week, then encountered the second one as they returned from the first.
No damage resulted when flames spread over a field near 3028 N 350 W Wednesday, March 26, according to the Noble County Sheriff's Department. Burning trash that got out of control is blamed for the blaze, which reportedly burned over an area of less than an acre, and was brought under control within about fifteen minutes.
Four fire units and a Sheriff's deputy responded, but a four wheel drive brush truck and its crew were able to contain the blaze. On their way back after being disregarded, the crew of another truck came across a grass fire along CR 200N, near Long Lake Road.
After investigating, they determined a property owner was watching over the fire he'd reportedly started to burn an area off. Anyone doing controlled burns is urged to contact the Noble County Sheriff's Department, so dispatchers are aware of it and don't send fire units unnecessarily to a controlled burn.
Ah, but that's just the *normal* way of letting things get out of control:
Oops! Town leaders burn down own building
A trash fire started by township supervisors burned down their municipal building, authorities said.
Gophers notch a win in man-rodent battle
A war on gophers waged by two Canadian men went awry this weekend when a device used to blast the rodents in their holes sparked a grass fire in a rural area near Calgary, Alberta, causing more than $197,000 in damage.