Mark Hunter (ozma914) wrote,
Mark Hunter
ozma914

  • Mood:

another good reason to have a dog



A car and SUV were destroyed when fire gutted a garage near Albion early Wednesday, March 12.

Just before 2 a.m. a barking pet dog alerted the DeWayne Handshoe family that flames were spreading through a garage near their home at 1563 E SR 8. The cause of the fire hasn't been determined, but is believed to be accidental, according to the Albion Fire Department.

The 24 by 30 foot wood frame garage was just a short distance from the home and was quickly engulfed in flames that threatened to spread further. Firefighters from Albion and Rome City arrived to find the home's aluminum siding beginning to smoke and melt from the severe radiant heat, and windows began cracking, but firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading inside the house. The fire was declared under control in about 25 minutes.

The garage itself was totally destroyed, as were an SUV and car, both 2007 models, inside the building. Two electric carts, a refrigerator, tools and other items were also reportedly destroyed, causing an estimated $45,000 loss. Another $20,000 worth of damage was estimated to the sides of the house.

No one was reported injured, although a Noble County EMS ambulance was brought to the scene as a precaution.

Eight units of the Albion and Orange Township Fire Department responded to the call, with the last truck clearing the scene just before 3 a.m.
Tags: albion, fire
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments