- Fri, 02:41: RT @Nobilis: Call for Submissions at Nobilis Erotica. $25 for audio rights to SF/F erotic short stories. https://t.co/04lDvcdWOc Reprin…
- Fri, 09:24: Messages from Noble County Ema & 911 Center : Nixle https://t.co/NcQISJ8H1Q
- Fri, 09:42: I've just posted a new blog: States I've visited https://t.co/oAsLlIcm4A
- Fri, 10:10: Storms approaching the north side of Fort Wayne. #indiana #storm #thunderstorms #weather https://t.co/0LzscN0IRZ https://t.co/DU0s5DMTyb
- Fri, 11:38: Severe Thunderstorm Warning until 12:00PM https://t.co/WpO8zNXiW0
July 7th, 2017
It was a busy week, but I was able to get the 4H Creative Writing projects in just under the wire. Don't let anyone tell you judging is easy, especially in an area that can be so subjective. If I was a sports judge, I suppose I'd rather be in track and field rather than figure skating, for instance.
What makes it harder is that there are three categories: beginner, intermediate, and why the heck wasn't I that good in high school? You can't judge them by the same standards; it would be like failing a fourth grader because he couldn't do advanced trigonometry, which is maybe a bad example because I never could do advanced trigonometry. I don't even know what it is. I'm still trying to figure out what x equals.
My problem is that I tend to go too easy, out of empathy for how I might have reacted to a harsh comment at that age. (Hint: I had very low self esteem.) But in trying to balance that, I worry about being too hard on the writers. They need to know if they have weak areas to be worked on, but they don't need me turning into that jerk chef on those cooking shows. So I try to be--I don't know--gentle, but guiding. All this stressing myself out is also why I struggle to do book reviews.
In any case, I've never seen a single 4H entry that didn't show potential for great works to come. That's exactly the kind of thing the world needs: imagination, industry, interest, and literacy. Which comes awfully close to the 4H motto of head, hands, heart, and health.( Collapse )