- Tue, 17:35: RT @Dani_Feld: Dear millionaires, If you don't have a bookcase that spins into a secret room then give your money to me because you're spe…
- Tue, 17:49: Shirley Temple, iconic child star, dies at 85 http://t.co/d1OHxnTFmu
- Tue, 20:47: Doc says my back (and elbow) are screwed up way more than usual, and that's going some. It appears snow was the culprit.
- Wed, 04:49: RT @XplodingUnicorn: An Iraqi terrorist in charge of a bomb school accidentally triggered a bomb and killed all of his students. Karma is l…
- Wed, 07:26: A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: Me, Hugh Howey, and Legacy John on AuthorEarnings.... http://t.co/OZso1gfbeK
SLIGHTLY OFF THE MARK
I kept hearing about some disaster that was going to happen in a place called Sochi this winter. Something about gay terrorists with torches attacking bad hotels during a heat wave, or some such thing.
Turns out they’re having the Olympics.
The Soviet Union broke up, but it seems the Russians putting on the 2014 Winter Olympics still adhere to the communist style of efficiency and quality (and personal freedoms). Sochi, by the way, is Russian for “whatever”.
Efficiency? Less than a week before the Olympics, this small town has unfinished hotels, unworking Wi-Fi, and TV’s that don’t tele any vision. Gorki Plaza, intended to be a hub of transportation and accommodations, was indeed buzzing with people—all of them construction workers.
Meanwhile the Russians, once masters of propaganda, recently passed a law outlawing “gay propaganda”. No word on whether straight propaganda has been outlawed, but apparently they’re trying to protect minors (Miners are on their own).
( Collapse )