- Sun, 14:00: I've just posted a new blog: 25 Years of Talking https://t.co/f4H80VwXh1
- Sun, 15:56: Slightly Off the Mark: 25 Years of Talking https://t.co/h6LaQ0VJ5P
- Mon, 10:10: “NOBLE COUNTY SHERIFF: POSSIBLE SLICK SPOTS IN THE AREA DUE TO FREEZING AND DRIZZLING RAIN THIS Morning : Nixle https://t.co/slycmPGHdU
In all the fuss that this winter has been so far, I haven't mentioned the fact that December 13th was the 25th anniversary of my employment at the Noble County Sheriff Department.
I started out as a jail officer, and after a few years moved to dispatch: first on second shift, then on a swing, and finally to thirds, where I've worked ever since. In fact, I've worked there for so long that in a few years I'm qualified to retire at full pension; although that's not going to happen until I'm selling enough books to pay the difference (and insurance). In fact, I've actually done this job for longer than anything else in my life, except parenting, firefighting, and breathing.
They gave me a really nice certificate, which will go on my office wall:
That's me in the middle. All three of us in the photo are volunteer firefighters in addition to being members of Noble County Communications. On the right is my direct supervisor, John Urso. If we had a ladder truck he'd be a truckie: tall and hard headed. He's so tough, Chuck Norris goes across the street to avoid him. His glare has made dispatch trainees literally melt. And guess who has to clean it up? Yep: me. Third shift vacuums.
On the left is Mitch Fiandt, who's been there so long his employee number starts with a minus. When Mitch started dispatching, he had to alert the police by ringing the nearest church bell. He'd call out the fire department by starting a signal fire, which if you think about it is pretty ironic. On the fire department his area of expertise is apparatus operation, but he's had trouble getting used to those newfangled internal combustion engines.
I know what you're thinking: "Mark, can you make fun of age after hitting the big two five?" Well, at my age it's all I can do. All I can say is that when I started out, we didn't have computers in dispatch or in fire trucks. Now I've got a computer in my pocket, and it even makes phone calls.
Other people have on occasion suggested I write a book about my experiences in the emergency communications.
Not while I'm still employed.
- Sat, 12:53: #TV Review: #Oz reimagined again … and again … https://t.co/97YofxC8Ia if Harry Potter had been written … well, pretty much as it was.
- Sun, 03:07: Atwood, Ontario’s Official Welcome Sign: | 26 Pictures That Prove Canada Mass Produces Dad Jokes, An https://t.co/UJwKySqraV
- Sun, 04:41: Albion and Noble County (Images of America) by Mark R Hunter https://t.co/mgfGLy6Yr2 https://t.co/68MAepuWIN
- Fri, 15:00: I've just posted a new blog: TV Review: Oz reimagined again … and again … and again … https://t.co/RQerxzMYzz
- Fri, 23:46: RT @unpausedart: Ugh. Yeah. https://t.co/GKaIhmYdrE
- Sat, 00:33: Grief in 1 Baltimore community after fire kills 6 children - Fire Engineering https://t.co/R0gqTzhHE7
- Sat, 01:59: Speak of the Devil: Black Cats And Quiet Lunatics https://t.co/6ipq1jMiQW
- Sat, 03:00: RT @StormChaserbook: Hazardous Road Conditions Anticipated This Weekend; Public Safety Agencies Urge Caution https://t.co/yOmTKb7PXs
|Blonde Dorothy. See? I don't make this crap up.|
- Fri, 00:29: Radio Red now up for e-book pre-order https://t.co/Kf7uiRLQ2r It’s a novel idea. Well, it’s a novel. #romanticcomedy #writing #novel
- Fri, 01:28: RT @SurvivorMed: 7 Survival Crops You Can Grow Without Irrigation https://t.co/YR8CeONlvP #preppers #bagessentials #ccot
- Fri, 01:30: RT @WxStrong: Indiana ranks as the state with the 16th worst winters, Ohio is 14th according to this article. What do you think? https://t.…
- Fri, 03:07: RT @StormChaserbook: Good Samaritan Motorist Kills Man Who Shot, Assaulted State Trooper https://t.co/4mL3M4k55r via @GMA
- Fri, 07:43: Don't tell me I'm not brave: I just went to the doctor during a full moon on Friday the 13th--to get three shots. #friday13th #fullmoon
- Wed, 15:00: I've just posted a new blog: Radio Red Now Up For e-book Pre-Order https://t.co/sCr0qD4F8J
- Wed, 16:30: Radio Red Now Up For e-book Pre-Order https://t.co/Hya2YoaTlO
- Thu, 00:35: RT @nicholasweather: After current round of rain, more will move in on Thursday - clearing in the afternoon. #15Fury https://t.co/cemfLErC…
- Thu, 02:13: The asteroid was around half the distance between the Earth and moon away from hitting the planet. https://t.co/5EWkC2BbF7
- Thu, 02:14: An Asteroid That Could Do Damage Just Flew Past The Earth https://t.co/GtfTwVKEkw via @YahooNews
The e-book version of my new novel, Radio Red, is now up and available for pre-order! I know, I was surprised too: Nobody told me it was happening, I just stumbled across it. I thought pre-order was what the big-time authors did. (The actual release date is March 7.)
I was also surprised to find my name listed as R. Mark Hunter. That's now been corrected, and we're up and running in such places as:
(That's Simon and Schuster, one of the big name publishers, listing four of my titles!)
(You've heard of Amazon? Probably.)
(Kobo. You know, Kobo.)
(Google Play. Yeah, you've heard of Google.)
(Barnes and Noble. It's nice to see my books up there, even if they can't be found (yet) in their brick and mortar stores.)
Those are the places I'm aware of so far. It's being priced at $3.99, which is pretty good for a full-length novel. Getting enough pre-orders might result in a bit more promotion, and those things tend to feed on themselves; so please consider checking it out! Also, look for the print version coming soon.
- Mon, 14:28: “Light snow will develop tonight, eventually mixing with or changing to rain Tuesday morning” Noble Co EMA : Nixle https://t.co/AQaXn4OOU1
- Mon, 15:00: I've just posted a new blog: The Creeping Crud and Puny Dogs https://t.co/SLHAdIgkp5
- Mon, 16:01: The Creeping Crud and Puny Dogs https://t.co/3oBgWTWbh1
- Tue, 02:36: Is that #sleet and #freezingrain I hear outside? Yes ... yes, it is. #weather #Indiana