SLIGHTLY OFF THE MARK
When we put up the Christmas tree last year, our dog became very puzzled.
“Dude, there are all kinds of trees surrounding this house already. Seriously, just come outside with me next time. Mind the yellow snow.”
Amazingly, he said all that with a glance.
If you take an objective, dog-like look at America’s Christmas traditions, you quickly realize we’re a little crazy. We bring a tree inside; we haul electric lights outside. People who refuse to listen to music that’s not still in the top 40 happily sing carols that were written by people who thought the Earth was flat.
(It’s a sphere; just thought I’d throw that in.)
( And we celebrate Christmas on December 25th, even though most experts agree Jesus was actually born in the spring. Why? Because it’s close to the shortest day of the year. What else are you going to do in late December? Go to the beach? Get that garden in? Take a road trip to Buffalo, New York?Collapse )
- Mon, 20:30: Book signing season ends, book deadline season begins http://t.co/Vw2JE2bVXP
- Tue, 01:44: Book signing season ends, book deadline season begins http://t.co/SRVD5EoDqm
- Tue, 01:48: RT @KuVeo: These Incredible Photos of Mars Will Make You Wish To Be An Astronaut! http://t.co/w7LCeLVPis
- Tue, 02:04: if this is true, that's just weird! http://t.co/OnB9AAnabB
We sold several books at the signing Saturday, and got to talk to some great people. Thanks to the Kendallville Mini Shops for hosting us! One visitor picked up books for her relative in Ohio, and another recognized me and bought The Notorious Ian Grant because she liked Storm Chaser so much.
Thus ends book signing season—this year. You won’t be hearing much from me for several days as we finish a deadline for the new book project, but my Christmas “Slightly Off The Mark” column is up in the Kendallville Mall. If you don’t get it in the mail and you’re in Albion, pick it up from the box outside of the Albion Village Foods or check out “blogs” at 4countymall.com.
- Sat, 14:49: Remember, everyone who comes to the Mini Shops today gets free air! You can't get that kind of deal at the IRS. http://t.co/oWTTw18RE7
- Sun, 05:59: Not that I'm behind in listening, but it was nice to hear the wives try to class up @BladtCast @ChristianDMZ @David_Bugenske @WillSterling_
- Sun, 06:01: RT @theamandabeaty: Woman Visits Toys ‘R’ Us, Pays Off Everybody’s Layaway Accounts (and tales of others giving to strangers) http://t.co/…
- Sun, 07:51: cool-write-read-people-habit-quote @Krystin Santos http://t.co/K9uDvjpgB2
Don’t worry, there’s plenty of free parking along Main Street in Kendallville, although some of you might consider carpooling. I’ll be at the Mini shops, 134 S. Main Street, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on December 13th. It’s a new place, where you’ll find a number of small vendors in the former Best Little Hair House (not making that up) a block south and across the street from the News-Sun building.
Remember, every time you don’t go to my book signings, a butterfly in the Amazon flaps its wings. Don’t cause a hurricane.